Well despite Melbourne’s best efforts to withhold Summer from us, we still find ourselves falling victim to some absolute scorchers this year! Luckily the Mornington Peninsula is abundant in beaches, but how many of them are “Fido Friendly?”
We are exceptionally fortunate to have access to beaches that are leash free, and even more so to have a few that remain unrestricted year round! Below are listed some local beaches, with their locations and restrictions, hopefully making it a bit easier for you to plan your day at the beach with pooch.
MT ELIZA BEACH
Please remember these few simple rules when hitting the sand with your dog, abiding by these will ensure the Mornington Peninsula remains a pet friendly seaside location.
- ALWAYS clean up after your dog. Take plenty of poo bags and make sure to dispose of them responsibly
- Have plenty of FRESH water readily available for your dog
- Watch your dog at all times. There can be many potential dangers at the beach, from things they can ingest to altercations they could find themselves in, so best to always keep an eye on your dog.
- Act responsibly when letting your dog run leash free, remember their limitations and bear in mind the feelings of other dogs and people on the beach.
- ALWAYS keep control of your dog, if they become a bit too carefree or rambunctious it might be time to reign them in for a bit.
- If it’s an incredibly hot day check how hot the sand is. If you can’t walk on it, neither can your dog!
- NEVER leave your dog alone in the car while you go for a swim, ESPECIALLY on hot days!
NOTE:The beaches listed above are publicly listed dog friendly beaches, if you are unsure if your local beach is dog friendly check for signs displayed at the beach entrance.